I read in !emc-pstc that Wan Juang Foo <f...@np.edu.sg> wrote (in
<of20fd77f8.c4438312-on48256b3b.002ee...@np.edu.sg>) about 'EMC-related
safety issues', on Tue, 8 Jan 2002:
>EMI from the ASMD (anti ship missile defence) radar had cause
>the communication equipment to be inoperable.  During this brief period, an
>Exocet missile was not seen homing in on HMS Sheffield

According to a TV documentary the other day, the two systems were on
nearly the same frequency, so this was really a case of a clash between
military and civilian spectrum usage rather than normal EMC. Note
'usage'; at that time the military had almost carte blanche on spectrum
usage, especially in a combat situation.

Presumably the Commander (E) should have ditched the satellite link, but
the TV documentary said that the surveillance radar lost the echoes from
the Super-Etandards flying at zero altitude and the potential threat was
not passed on to Commander (E).

The moral here is that you ALWAYS give Jack-the-Operator the benefit of
the doubt if he says he saw or heard something, whether it's radar or
ASDIC.

These days, it is at least alleged that there is much better co-
ordination between the UK military and the civil authority on spectrum
usage.
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.