From: CE-TEST [mailto:cet...@cetest.nl]
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 9:13 AM
To: richwo...@tycoint.com; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: EMC-related safety issues

Hi Richard, Group

I agree that those requirements look safety related, but they
are strictly functional. The difference is subtle:
As this standard is concerned with equipment used
for safety purposes, the requirements are thus safety related in
THAT sense, but not in the sense of equipment's safety or
safety risks CAUSED by using the equipment. These are
not considered, althouigh testin according to EN 50130 may contribute
to increased product safety.

Most safety topics can be found in LVD related standards, such as
EN 60730 (not for EN 50130 equipment).
Many LVD standards are not very elaborate about EM Safety, and
directly point to a deviation of the Generic standards.

I might say that "EM and safety of equipment"
 is an area that is completely unexplored.

(i do not use the abbreviation EMC as this topic is not about compatibility.
I should
use EMS (afety) but this abbreviation has  already been taken...)

Gert Gremmen