Dear John
Sorry to have taken so long to reply.

We will have to disagree over the educational value of the EMC + Compliance
Journal's "Banana Skins" column.

If you haven't seen anything that was CE marked but which was obviously not
compliant, then I think you must be lucky.

As I mentioned earlier, whenever EMC enforcers in the EU carry out random
checks on products in the marketplace, they seem to find that around 30% are
clearly not compliant (a broad-brush average, since it seems to depend on the
type of product), and there have been some papers presented by such enforcers
in recent years for which I will be pleased to provide such references as I
have.

Your 'unfoggy' replacement statement was good, but only relevant to carefully
limited circumstances.
I notice you included the lines: "...are extremely unlikely to cause
malfunction of other equipment having the degree of immunity afforded by
normal design practices." – but could you please define exactly what you mean
by "extremely unlikely", "malfunction" and "normal design practices".

It seems to me that in the end, your improved alternative statement still
needs to use foggy' language after all.

I am pleased that you agree with me that the debate in question –
(which I seem to remember concerned whether "unintentional emitters" that are
compliant with emissions standards when measured at 10 metres can interfere
with electronic circuits which are not intentional radio receivers)
– cannot be answered with a definitive yes or no.
Everyone other than a single correspondent to this thread seem to have
difficulty in accepting this basic and scientifically correct statement.

As for the assertion that : "Doctors and surgeons kill people one at a time,
but engineers do it by the thousand." - consider that in the EU in the
mid-90's there were around 30,000 fires caused by failures in washing
machines every year, a proportion of which resulted in property damage and a
few end in deaths.

An engineer who designs a faulty consumer product or vehicle can put
thousands of lives at risk. Ask Ford and Firestone about the deaths (and the
cost to their companies) of their recent engineering error in fitting the
Ford Explorer with Firestone Wilderness tyres (maybe that should  be tires).
Maybe a more accurate statement (if a little foggier) would be "Doctors and
surgeons kill people one at a time, but some engineers could do it by the
thousand."

Regards, Keith Armstrong
PS:  It will be another week before I can reply again to postings in this
thread.