From: Rich Nute [mailto:ri...@sdd.hp.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 12:21 PM
To: ken.ja...@emccompliance.com
Cc: cherryclo...@aol.com; m...@california.com;
emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: EMC-related safety issues

Hi Ken:

>   Trial lawyers and their clients have an obvious interest in portraying
>   consumers as helpless and child-like, and rich corporations as robber-barons
>   preying on the poor and weak.  But why does the rest of society jump on that
>   bandwagon?  Because profit and wealth, once badges of achievement, are now
>   considered prima facie evidence of malfeasance.  The trail lawyers, in an
>   attempt to enrich themselves, have launched a full-scale attack on the
>   system of capitalism itself.  But unlike a real capitalist, who enriches
>   himself by serving others, the trial lawyer is a parasite - he achieves his
>   success at the expense of others, and the degree of his success is the
>   degree of destruction visited on society.

It is not the lawyers, but the client/plaintiff
who sees an opportunity for a free ride for the
rest of his life.  Society wants to see the little
guy get the free ride and the deep-pocket corporation
pay through the nose for his misdeeds.  I don't
really believe that the client/plaintiff motive is
punishment of the deep-pocket corporation, although
that theory may be the one used in court.

Ambulance-chasing lawyers do influence the client/
plaintiff in their path to the free ride, as the
lawyers, too, want a free ride.

(It seems to me that there is a prepronderance of
very nice cars that bear the wheelchair symbol.)

Best wishes for the New Year,
Rich