From: James Collum [mailto:james.col...@usa.alcatel.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2002 10:47 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: EMC-related safety issues

*********
A routine flight over Dallas-Fort Worth was disrupted when one of the
compasses suddenly shifted 10 degrees to the right.  The pilot asked if any
passenger was operating an electronic device,  and finding that a laptop
computer had just been turned on requested that it be turned off,  whereupon
the compass returned to normal. Following RTCA guidelines the pilot
requested that the laptop be turned on again 10 minutes later,  when the
compass error returned.
Ref: Compliance Engineering (European edition)  Nov/Dec 1996 p12
*********

I am fascinated by this amazing story (which must surely be an urban myth)
and went in search of more info on the internet.
I had never heard of the RTCA ( a private corporation)  before, but noticed
via their web site that you have to be a member company (i.e. pay) to
receive the wisdom that it contains.  Aviation is merely a hobby of mine but
I'm interested in reading a copy of the RTCA's DO-233/214 and 196 documents
without shelling out hundreds for the privilege, can anyone advise? Also
does anyone know what recommendations have they made to modifying FAR 91.21
(as per their web site).
In reading this again, I'm curious as to how the pilot would have known
about a private companies convoluted guideline for fault finding on errant
radio direction equipment involving locating industrious passengers and
commandeering their computers at 10 minute intervals.
Surely he would have done what any professional engineer would do, beat or
kick the 10 degree error out of the RDF equipment?
Or maybe just wonder to him/herself about how strange things happen in the
Dallas Fort Worth area?

Tounge in cheek, my comments and not those of my employer etc.

Jim