I read in !emc-pstc that Brian Jones <e...@brianjones.co.uk> wrote (in
<009001c1a8d0$c4fc0840$d841c0c1@oemcomputer>) about 'SV: Generic
emissions - EN 61000-6-3', on Tue, 29 Jan 2002:

>It is not true that all ENs are "harmonised".  The term, in this context,
>means specifically ENs which have been selected as relevant standards under
>one or more directives, and listed as such in the Official Journal.

No, that is 'notified', not 'harmonized'.
> Thus,
>for example, basic standards are not harmonised.

Ah, well now, this came up last week. We have to be VERY careful of the
terminology. Basic EMC standards (EN61000-4-X) are not *notified*, but
obviously they ARE harmonized otherwise there would be even more
differences between test-house results in different countries.(;-)

However, IEC Basic Safety Publications that are adopted as ENs, such as
EN60529, CAN be, and usually are, notified.

When harmonization was first introduced, it meant that national
standards were brought into line with each other, maybe just in terms of
technical requirements but preferably with identical texts. These
documents were given 'harmonized' references, such as 'HD21.1 S2'. Some
600 still exist, but a large number have been *superseded by ENs*, which
it is MANDATORY for the CENELEC members to implement as identical
national standards (apart from Special National Conditions, normally to
accommodate conflicting legal requirements). So these ENs are *even more
harmonized*, de facto and de jure, than the HDs they replace or stand in
place of.

It would clearly be totally illogical to claim that HDs, which ARE
harmonized by definition, are replaced by ENs which are more closely
identical between member states but are not 'harmonized'.

[snip]

>The following is an extract from the Commission's website
>
>http://europa.eu.int/comm/enterprise/newapproach/standardization/harmstds/vo
>rwort.html
>
>which explains in detail the extra requirements for harmonised standards.

I don't see any 'extra requirements'.

>The "New Approach" directives are supported by "harmonised standards" which
>play a significant role in ensuring their application. Such standards have
>first the characteristics inherent to European Standards :
>
>The standards (typically EN, ETSs) are drafted by one of three European
>Standard Organisations (CEN,CENELEC, ETSI)
>
>The work is based on consensus
>
>Standards are adopted after a public inquiry with the national votes based
>on corresponding weighting features
>
>Standards remain voluntary but their transposition into national standards
>and the withdrawal of diverging national standards is mandatory according to
>the internal rules of the European Standards Organisations.

All this is not 'special' or 'new' or 'additional' in any way, as far as
ENs are concerned.

>Within the context of the "New Approach" additional conditions are
>superposed to the European Standards to cover the specific role of
>harmonised standards :

This is typical Brussels Euroenglish, and it can easily be
misinterpreted.

>The Commission issues a standardisation mandate according to the procedure
>of Directive 98/34/EC (consolidating Directive 83/189/EEC)
>
>The standards are developed in taking due account of the essential
>requirements

This is about the *role* of harmonized standards developed in order to
allow conformity with the standard to demonstrate compliance with a
Directive. It does not, as far as I can see, change the *definition* of
a harmonized standard in any way.

The 'Euroenglish' bit is actually saying that the Commission *may not
accept* an EN that was not produced under a standardization mandate
and/or does not, in the Commission's opinion, address the essential
requirements. Although it could be seen to attempt, with the words
'additional conditions', to throw the 'harmonized' status of such an EN
into doubt, I doubt very much whether that would stick if challenged.
After swimming across the Hellespont, I felt like a Hero.
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!