From: Chris Wells [mailto:cdwe...@stargate.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 6:40 PM
To: 'emc-pstc'
Subject: chassis bonding - star washers enough?

Looking for some feedback on bonding various parts of a painted metal
chassis together for safety and EMC performance issues.
I know we have a lot of experts out there on this topic and can remember a
number of threads on the topic.
Please help me pull it together:

*       When screwing the cover on the base will star washers cut through
paint, even epoxy paint and provide a reliable connection?

*       Are there special versions of electrical star washers that work
better than others?

*       What about oxidation of the mating surface? I understand star
washers can make a gas tight seal.

*       Should there be a special treatment to the painted area where the
screw/washer come together?

*       Do PEM nuts act as a good mating mechanism for the screw?  There are
many types are some better than others?  What about the self clenching
types?

*       One can get screws with captive washers.  Are there any issues with
these?  Preferred Vendors and types?

*       There are various chemical materials to keep screws from backing out
and are applied to the threads of a screw such as those from Loctite.  Do
these interfere or help?  Are some formulas better than others?

*       Under the paint if the base metal is steel are there any treatments
or plating that help?  For Steel, for Aluminum?

*       If the chassis is plated steel instead like zinc chromate yellow.
What changes?

*       Proper plating on screw and star washer?  (assume painted steel)

Any advice on the topic welcome!
Thanks in advance!

Chris Wells
Senior Design Engineer