From: j...@aol.com [mailto:j...@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 11:08 AM
To: hutch...@protek-tvs.com; robert_wil...@tirsys.com; mpet...@analogic.com;
emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: Transient Voltage Suppressor - Europe approvals?

In a message dated 6/19/2002, Dave Hutchins writes:

  Energy has nothing to do with the capability of the TVS device.  It is
also proven that the energy in the transient threat is not the energy
dissipated in the TVS component, just ask any old timer even those at
Harris.

Hi Dave:

I'm not sure I agree with you on this one, but perhaps the issue is simply
one of semantics.  The "energy" I referred to was the energy in the surge,
not the protection device.  For example, a gas tube can handle, without
damage, surges of far higher energy than a Transzorb.  If I recall
correctly, MOVs can also typically handle surges of higher energy than a
Transzorb.

In the past, when I have used a Transzorb or comparable device, it was for
tertiary protection inside a circuit that was already protected by other
devices with the ability to handle much higher energy surges.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.
781-721-2848