In a message dated 6/19/2002, Dave Hutchins writes:

> Energy has nothing to do with the capability of the TVS device.  It is also
> proven that the energy in the transient threat is not the energy dissipated
> in the TVS component, just ask any old timer even those at Harris.

Hi Dave:

I'm not sure I agree with you on this one, but perhaps the issue is simply
one of semantics.  The "energy" I referred to was the energy in the surge,
not the protection device.  For example, a gas tube can handle, without
damage, surges of far higher energy than a Transzorb.  If I recall correctly,
MOVs can also typically handle surges of higher energy than a Transzorb.

In the past, when I have used a Transzorb or comparable device, it was for
tertiary protection inside a circuit that was already protected by other
devices with the ability to handle much higher energy surges.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.
781-721-2848