In a message dated 6/19/2002, Bob Wilson writes:

> Transzorbs (or "TVS"s) are basically zener diodes that are rated for
> their energy absorption capability.

Hello All:

One thing to keep in mind is that the energy handling capability of a
TransZorb is generally not very high compared to other devices such as gas
tubes, MOV's, and sidactors.  Michael, your original posting did not specify
the intended application, but the reference to being "rated for mains
voltage" makes me wonder if you are trying to protect from surges on an AC
mains input.  If so, I do not think that a TransZorb would have adequate
energy handling capability.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.