There is another implied concept of questionable validity in this latest
posting.  The way I read it, Mr. Wellington is talking about filtering
signals emanating from the support equipment as it passes through a bulkhead
between control and test chambers.  Such signals usually require no
filtering whatsoever, because if they have any bandwidth at all, they are
run with dedicated returns (such as a twisted pair or a twisted shielded
pair) and have no radiation efficiency to speak of. What requires filtering,
and what is ameliorated by proper PCB layout, as he alluded to in an earlier
post, is common mode emissions.  These can be filtered to a very high degree
with no impact on intentional signals.  Common fixes are snap on ferrite
beads and line-to-ground caps.  Clearly the line-to-ground caps should not
attenuate the desired signal, but in most if not all cases the undesired cm
current is orders of magnitude higher in frequency than the intentional
signal.  In those cases where this is not the case, the military would run
intentionally high frequency signals within shielded cables (think
MIL-STD-1553 and fibre channel) which, if properly terminated, will provide
all the protection necessary without resort to either filtering or
over-braids.  Specifically, if the support equipment or its environment
resulted in high frequency cm currents conducted on the outside of a
shielded cable, that cable should be terminated peripherally to a connector
at the bulkhead as it passes into the test chamber.  If the cable is not
shielded and the source is the ambient, then shielding of the cable external
to the test chamber is both proper and necessary, and has no effect on the
validity of the test set-up within the chamber.  Further, it requires no
input from the customer, because it does not affect the delivered product
configuration.  If the test support equipment itself is the cm source, then
any cm filtering necessary to attenuate those emissions before they enter
the test chamber is again proper and necessary, external to the test
chamber.  It might be said that such filtering could reduce cm currents
emanating from the test sample, but this is not a big problem for a couple
of reasons.  First it is easy to determine whether it is support equipment
or the test sample which is driving the currents, by sequentially
de-energizing suspected sources and noting the effect on the emissions.
Secondly, the standard effectively requires at least 3 meters of cabling
between test sample and bulkhead.  Above 10 MHz the cable is electrically
long and the effect of a filter at the bulkhead does not directly impact the
level of cm current on the cable, but only indirectly as its impedance is
transformed by the electrical length and distributed characteristic
impedance of the cable in question.  If the mil-std EMI test set-up were so
well-controlled that every test chamber and every test bench were of
precisely equal size and configuration and no matter where the test was
conducted the entire test set-up including cable layout were identical
within inches, then it might be productive to worry about changing a common
mode impedance at the end of a three meter cable.  In my experience, such is
hardly the case.

on 2/20/03 4:53 PM, pwell...@csw.l-3com.com at pwell...@csw.l-3com.com

--

Ken Javor