All,

I do not recommend that you use heavy filtering at the chamber egress wall
to control emissions for a couple of reasons:

1) In good faith, you need to duplicate the actual *system* cabling and
connectors installed at the chamber egress wall, you certainly have isolated
the exercise equipment emissions away from the Equipment-Under-Test) EUT,
but that is not real world. While you may pass test limit line requirements,
when the product is used in the final application it may either radiate or
be susceptible. While you can always say you met the specification, it isn't
worth losing a customer or degrading your reputation.

2) Filter Connectors can (depending on type and values), present a very low
impedance at the chamber egress wall. This is undoubtedly NOT the end of the
cable (cabling connected to exercise equipment in the Ante Room). This may
cause unforeseen reflections on cables and shields creating worse emissions
or degraded susceptibility (alternate return paths) during testing.

One way to solve your problem is to specify shielded (overbraided) cabling
if you have the ability to. This would have to be something agreed upon
between you and your customer. Be careful of product safety concerns in some
countries with ungrounded power cabling.

The real way to solve the problem is to fix the common mode noise on the
cable by source suppression. Sometimes a painful solution but often the best
in the long run. This is painful if you are out of schedule (many do EMC
testing at the end of their development schedule), working with a difficult
OEM device, or cost is an issue. If you can't source suppress it, you're
back to containing it with the shielded cabling. Be careful about cable
shield pigtails or ferrules and wires. You will almost always have better
success with 360 degree overbraid shielding to EMI backshells.

Philip Ross Wellington
Mgr. Signal Integrity & EMI
L-3 Communications CSW