Hi,

I still disagree with the general use of filter connectors in an EMC test
set-up at the egress.

If you look at MIL-STD-461C and the test methods document MIL-STD-462 (which
is what he is testing to  -  RE-02), you will see that you are required to
test in a simulation of the "actual installation and usage".

This is located in MIL-STD-462 section 4.2.2.3 where it says that
"Interconnect cable assemblies and supporting structures shall simulate
actual installation and usage."

MIL-STD-462 section 4.2.2.5 on Loads also requires you to use loads that are
"equivalent for which it is designed". It further states that "The loads
used shall simulate the resistance, inductance, and capacitance of the
load". Filter connectors at the chamber egress would be additional
capacitance and possibly inductance (type dependent) that modifies the
simulated "load" that is supposed to look like the application.  Now, if the
application or user equipment has filters or filter connectors at their
egress, you would be simulating the proper "load" and be compliant to
MIL-STD-462.

You are also required to meet a minimum of 6 dB margin below the limit line
with your EUT "deenergized" unless you have to test under section 4.2.8
(Emission Measurements in the Presence of High Ambient Fields). The filter
connectors will help you meet the required ambient margin, but should not be
used as a general rule.

You are correct about filtering power (AC and DC). It is usually expected to
have 100 dB isolation from 10 KHz to 1 GHz. Power is different in that you
are required to have capacitors (or LISNs for 461D/E) for RE-02. During
testing, we intentionally measure emissions from the EUT during Conducted
Emission tests and isolate emissions to the EUT not power cabling from the
chamber to the capacitors (or LISNs for 461D/E). The capacitors/LISNs are to
normalize the impedance for obtaining repeatable test data. This is
different from signal line filtering where the intended signals may be
modified (edge rates limited) causing errors in measured data from the lab
versus the customer application. If you use filter connectors at the chamber
egress in your lab, the cables appear to have the same RF impedance. This is
very likely *not* the same as the intended application. Since all test labs
do not use filter connectors at the egress, there may be wide measurement
variation between labs. This would be the case from lab data with filter
connectors to the customer application of the product.

What this all means is that you need clean exercise equipment, cabling, and
well bonded cable shielding to meet EMC test set-up requirements. It also
means that you need a clean Electromagnetic environment like an ante room
for the exercise equipment. You may also need a room for the measurement
equipment to shield it and the antenna cabling from the ambient
Electromagnetic environment.

The best way to control these set-up problems is to use a chamber with an
Ante room for the exercise equipment. This is a shielded enclosure (room)
that has an egress panel between the EMC test chamber and the ante room. The
door may be closed to prevent outside emissions from being conducted onto
exercise cables and re-radiated on cables in the EMC test chamber. At our
facility, we have a 40' X 40' X 28' shielded chamber with Anechoic material
and ferrite tiles, 12' X 16' Ante room chamber, and 10' X 12' measurement
equipment room, plus a 12' X 16' development chamber. We have never used
filter connectors through the chamber egress, we don't think it is proper
set-up. But, others may not have the facility to do this.

While every situation may not be able to be tested this way, in my opinion,
using filter connectors as a general rule for a MIL-STD-461 EMI test set-up
should be discouraged.

Meeting MIL-STD-461 levels is difficult, but can be done with careful
attention to lower level source suppression design attributes, Signal
Integrity design, well thought out containment methods, and well
designed/built cabling. These are always less expensive and less painful at
the beginning of the design cycle rather than at the end.

One last thing is that if a military customer agreed that filter connectors
are acceptable for the test configuration, they have full authority to
accept the test configuration. In that case, I would expect to have this
well documented in my proposals, EMC Test Plan, and EMC Test Report.

Sorry for the long response.

Philip Ross Wellington
Mgr. Signal Integrity & EMI
L-3 Communications CSW