From: Peter Tarver [mailto:peter.tar...@sanmina-sci.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 3:37 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Cc: Jim Eichner
Subject: RE: looking for plastic tape, ul approved adhesive, v1 or
better

Hi, Jim.

The short answer is no, the UL tape reports don't (or didn't) look at
the 'suitability' of the adhesive.  Part of the reason for this is that
it's substrate dependent.  That appears to be left to the tape
manufacturers.

FWIW, here's some blather about adhesives.

There's a test specification in Subclause 4.6.5 of the 60950-1 standards
for the application you mention in your second paragraph.  This has been
in the IEC 950 and derivative versions of the standard for something
over 12 years.

UL and CSA do have product categories for adhesive systems.  UL's CCN is
QOQW2 (I don't have the CSA class at hand).  This type of evaluation has
been in Annex P.2 of the CSA/UL implementation of the 950 based
standards (being period correct, here: no 60 prefix) since about 1995
and possibly longer.

You may also be interested in the sixth dashed paragraph of Subclause
4.7.3.4 of the same (note that the adhesive isn't considered in the
flammability evaluation this exception is written against).

108/135/FDIS for IEC60950-1, 2nd ed, includes a reference to spiral
wrapped winding wire in discussing cemented joints (Subclause 2.10.5.5,
Note 2, second dashed paragraph).

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver, PE
ptar...@ieee.org