The question of approval of the adhesive is a good one.  I've wondered
about that too.  When we use typical transformer tapes like the
ubiquitous 3M#56, the adhesive is largely used only temporarily, since
the next layer or winding will hold it in place.  Even for the outerwrap
you could argue that the adhesive is backed up by a second means, albeit
varnish, so two things would have to fail for the tape to unwind.

BUT...suppose we want to use that same tape on a piece of sheet metal
where a live part is too close and fails clearance.  We are relying on
the adhesive for a safety function.  The tape has the UR mark but has
the adhesive been tested for long-term adhesion?  Is there any way to
know without asking the manufacturer for a look at the Conditions of
Acceptability in the UL report?

Jim Eichner, P.Eng.
Compliance Engineering Manager
Xantrex Technology Inc.
e-mail: jim.eich...@xantrex.com
web: www.xantrex.com

Any opinions expressed are those of my invisible friend.

copies of the original message.