Brian,

When I worked for a well-known instrumentation company our universal power
line requirement was, if I remember correctly, 80 to 270 VAC. If one could
achieve more it was good. I designed one that would reliably operate from 75
to 280 VAC. This covered 100 V Japan on up with  margin. Our products were
sometimes used in the field with generators and I believe the extra margin
built in helped us avoid field complaints. Our off-line bulk capacitance, as
well as the DC output capacitance was unusually large to allow for long line
dropouts.

Of course building in extra margin can raise the cost of design and
manufacturing. In our case it was reflected in higher capacitor cost and
lower power density. The upside was a slow but steady improvement in our
reputation and the ability to continue to command a price premium for our
products.

     Dave Cuthbert
     Senior Test Engineer
     NARTE Certified EMC Engineer
     Linear Technology Corporation

*******************Internet e-mail Confidentiality Footer*******************
This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail
messages attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible
for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information
contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you
have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify me by
reply e-mail, or by telephone at (719) 593-1579, extension 261 and destroy
the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in
any manner.  Thank you.