It's also useful to know what your product does under non operating
conditions. A common fault is open neutral and can happen anywhere from the
power cord to across town. This leaves your equipment in series with other
unknown loads from phase to phase.
This is not something you should expect to use as an operating point. Planning
operation under such conditions would appropriately require a UPS. However
knowing what your equipment does is good safety practice. It may trip
overcurrent protection or just sit and malfunction, but you don't want it to
catch fire. Running it at a few operating points between 0 and 416 V gives you
an idea of how it will fail. This is not a failure mode tested by the product
standards.

Bob Johnson
ITE Safety <http://www.itesafety.com>

David Cuthbert wrote:

Brian,

When I worked for a well-known instrumentation company our universal power

line requirement was, if I remember correctly, 80 to 270 VAC. If one could

achieve more it was good. I designed one that would reliably operate from 75

to 280 VAC. This covered 100 V Japan on up with  margin. Our products were

sometimes used in the field with generators and I believe the extra margin

built in helped us avoid field complaints. Our off-line bulk capacitance, as

well as the DC output capacitance was unusually large to allow for long line

dropouts.

Of course building in extra margin can raise the cost of design and

manufacturing. In our case it was reflected in higher capacitor cost and

lower power density. The upside was a slow but steady improvement in our

reputation and the ability to continue to command a price premium for our

products.

     Dave Cuthbert

     Senior Test Engineer

     NARTE Certified EMC Engineer

     Linear Technology Corporation

*******************Internet e-mail Confidentiality Footer*******************

This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail

messages attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally

privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible

for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that

any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information

contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you

have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify me by

reply e-mail, or by telephone at (719) 593-1579, extension 261 and destroy

the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in

any manner.  Thank you.