From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of
ted.eck...@apcc.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 11:28 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: Worst Case AC Power Conditions

Hello Brian,

180 - 264 V may be a better range to use for voltage.

Japan uses 200 V and you will want to be able to run at a 10%
undervoltage.
The Japanese are more particular about controlling voltage than most
countries, so -10% should be acceptable.  180 V will test to -13.4% for
the North American 208 V system and again, this should be sufficient
based on North American power distribution.  This test voltage will be
-22% for the 230 V world which should give you reasonable coverage even
for the areas that have some significant voltage dips and sags.

There are quite a few areas that run at 240 V and it will be worthwhile
testing to a 10% overvoltage for these areas.  This is why I recommend
264 V.  This is a less common condition than an undervoltage and the 10%
testing for 240 V (15% for 230) should be sufficient.  In general, you
can expect the added cost to track the extension of the operating
voltage range.

It can be more difficult to determine sufficient limits for surge and
transient testing.  However, I have found that good design practices can
often result in significant performance improvement without a
significant cost increase.  However, implementing the necessary changes
cheaply can normally only be done early in a design.  Proper grounding
and bonding, reduction in loop areas and proper filtering is easy to
design in from the start, but harder to retrofit.

I know that this is a very simplistic answer to your question, but I can
only give general guidance without detailed knowledge of your product.

Best regards,
Ted Eckert
American Power Conversion Corporation

The items contained in this e-mail reflect the personal opinions of the
writer and are only provided for the assistance of the reader. The
writer is not speaking in an official capacity for APC nor representing
APC's official position on any matter.

             "Kunde, Brian"

             <brian_kunde@leco

             tc.com>
                                       <ted.eck...@apcc.com>,

             11/08/2006 09:40          <emc-p...@ieee.org>

             AM
cc

Subject
                                       RE: Worst Case AC Power
Conditions

Ted,

Thank you for your reply.

We sell products worldwide to operate in the 200-260 (230V Norm) voltage
range. The information I seek includes help in determining where to draw
the line between real world power line conditions that a product should
work properly in and the conditions in which a product is not expected
to work properly in. Your statement in your second paragraph about
manufacturers performing a cost-benefit analysis describes what it is we
are trying to determine. Keeping in mind the cost of having personnel at
a customer site for days or longer to try and determine a problem. Power
line conditioners, which are very expensive for systems that can draw up
to 40 amps, are often used to troubleshoot problems. In those cases
where the conditioner seems to fix the problem we are trying to
determine if the problem is our hardware not being designed immune
enough or the power line conditions at some customer sites are beyond
what is reasonable to expect a piece of high end analytical equipment to
work properly in.

Thanks again,

The Other Brian