In message <006b01c70358$24511f10$150bb...@colorado.linear.com>, dated
Wed, 8 Nov 2006, David Cuthbert <dcuthb...@linear.com> writes
>I can see using a PLL with a long time constant to obtain immunity from
>line noise. But If the line zero crossing shifts abruptly the SCR fires
>to one side of zero crossing.

It's unusual for the zero-crossing to simply shift. It's more common to
get one or more spurious extra zero-crossings, and the PLL ignores them.
That does increase the harmonic current emissions, since the voltage may
not be exactly zero at the switching instant, but there doesn't seem to
be any way to prevent that. If you try to gate out the switching pulse
if the actual voltage is too high at the predicted zero-crossing
instant, you may miss complete half-cycles, which is a much less
attractive 'feature'.
Swine wave - a waveform whose spectrum is exceptionally difficult to calculate.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com