Given the name I chose for my company, I'm particularly (some would
probably say overly) sensitive to this issue, but here goes...

There is no such thing as a "Declaration of Conformance". The proper
name for the document is (in the case of the European CE marking
directives) is an "EC Declaration of Conformity".

The EC Declaration of Conformity can only be issued by the product's
manufacturer or, where that manufacturer is based outside the EU,
someone who is taking responsibility for the CE marking of the
product on behalf of the manufacturer. It is a document with a
specific legal status and function, as described in each of the
Directives which require it.

There also exists a "Certificate of Conformity". This is a document
which states that a particular item meets a particular specification
or set of specifications. It can be issued by any one to anyone else,
and its value is dependent on who issued it and what the person
receiving it is expecting to see. Basically, it means all things to
all people. That's not to say it has no value, simply that it is not
the same thing as an EC DofC.

Some might argue that there is also a need for a "Certificate of
Compliance", "Verfication of Attestation", "Confirmation of
Conformance" and a hundred and one other abominations of a paperwork
nature. I would argue that all of these are, without exception, fancy
names for a Certificate of Conformity.

As engineers, we all know the value of accurate but simple language.
It would help everyone involved in the conformity assessment and
compliance world if the language we used to describe the paperwork
with which we deal on a day-by-day basis with as much care as the
language which describes all the other technical issues we handle.

Regards to all.

Nick.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net