You are allowed to draw current in a hipot test.  In fact, you can even have
some arc over as long as current doesn't run away... so if there is arcing,
there could be carbon tracking which could lead to problems further on down
the line.  I always assume excessive hipot testing is bad for the hardware but
I can't point to any studies showing this.

-Ken