From: Kunde, Brian [mailto:brian_ku...@lecotc.com]
Sent: Friday, September 6, 2013 8:56 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] Spark Gap PCB Layout on AC Mains

Our engineers are working on an AC Mains Distribution PCB. Like most electronic
devices, we have seen the damage caused by lightning strikes. So we are
increasing our creepage and clearance distances as wide as we can and still
meet other requirements.

But no matter what spacing you design to, there is a lightning bolt out there
that will exceed the design and it will arc somewhere. So the question came up
to whether it makes sense to deliberately make a weak spot, or an area where
the clearance is slightly smaller to control where a lightning/surge pulse will
arc and/or discharge, like a Spark-Gap.

I have seen spark-gap lay outs on PC boards on I/O connectors; usually for ESD
protection,  but not on AC Mains. Is this a bad bad idea or something worth
doing?  Pros and Cons? Other suggestions??

Thanks to all for your help.

The Other Brian
________________________________
LECO Corporation Notice: This communication may contain confidential
information intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you received this by
mistake, please destroy it and notify us of the error. Thank you.

<emc-p...@ieee.org<mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org>>

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net<mailto:emcp...@radiusnorth.net>>
Mike Cantwell <mcantw...@ieee.org<mailto:mcantw...@ieee.org>>