Phone: (256) 650-5261

From: "Pawson, James" <james.paw...@echostar.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 11:23:21 +0000
To: <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Conversation: [PSES] Automated vehicles.
Subject: Re: [PSES] Automated vehicles.

This article in The Guardian is related to your first point regarding human
drivers ³gaming² driverless cars to gain an advantage

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/30/volvo-self-driving-car-au
tonomous

³The first self-driving cars to be operated by ordinary British drivers will
be left deliberately unmarked so that other drivers will not be tempted to
³take them on², a senior car industry executive has revealed.²

Also

³Meanwhile, Mercedes has made it clear that if a situation arises where a
car has to choose between saving the lives of its occupants or those of
bystanders, it will save the occupants. ŒIf you know you can save at least
one person, at least save that one. Save the one in the car,¹ Christoph von
Hugo, manager of driver assistance systems and active safety at Mercedes,
told the Paris Motor Show recently.²

Bruce Schneier writes a lot on security issues and regularly covers IoT and
occasionally driverless vehicles. His blog makes for interesting reading -
https://www.schneier.com/  I¹m sure it will end up being the usual round of
addition of features, poor programming/testing (due to budget constraints),
vulnerabilities, exploiting, patching, public outcry, legistlation, etc.

All the more reason to buy a bicycle.

James