Peter,

        Thanx for the clarification.

        Yes, the Simpson 228 does set the eBurn measurement up on a 100
mArms scale (which fits well with a 70mArms at hi freq spec as used in some
standards - at 70mArms at HF the line freq value would be ooo 17.5mArms
which would be readable on the 100 mArms scale).  Working at 1 mArms or so
is down in the mud for that circuit; the value provided on the output
circuit is also at the noise limit for the amplifier, as I have shown in the
PSES/ISPCE demo done in the past.

        This eBurn circuit is also the IEC basic body model circuit which
has been used for leakage current measurements for more than 50 years in IEC
standards - when these were primarily sinusoidal waveforms at line
frequency.  It worked well for these measurements.  The UL circuit has a
similar topology but different R and C values; it would provide similar
results as has been shown many times in the past.

        There will be a paper on this measurement and circuit in the next
PSE Newsletter (it's in the hopper now so look for it when the PSE News is
next published).

        We're all awaiting your completion of the evaluation and you
providing feedback on the experience and results from your work.

:>)     br,      Pete

Peter E Perkins, PE
Principal Product Safety & Regulatory Affairs Consultant
PO Box 23427
Tigard, ORe  97281-3427

503/452-1201

p.perk...@ieee.org