MU seems like a decent idea but is at best just an added cost for labs. It
seems like magical thinking - as long as this number is 'good' your results are
good. I've been working in labs 20 years. The biggest sources of error are
completely ignored by MU - operator errors and poor methods to verify setup
(e.g. using a comb gen before testing). MU is being pushed into everything,
with zero added value. What value is created by having MU for verifying a
cable? If your sig gen and analyzer or VNA are crap the results of actual
testing will be as well. Having a +/- dB on the cable measurement doesn't give
you any actionable information.
We are required to have MU calculations for all these different measurements,
but the results are completely ignored. My cable cal MU could be 100 dB, but
since there are no limits or requirement to report this anywhere other than the
cable cal 'cert' it is useless data.
Right now immunity test standards only have MU as informative annexes. I fear
that the IEC or ABs will start requiring it. A huge time sink to come up with a
number that gives little information and is ignored nearly universally.
-D

    On Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 10:15:38 AM CDT, Chas Grasso