Every measurement uncertainty seminar I've ever been to, since the mid 80s, has concentrated on it as a measure of the labs ability to control uncertainty.  In every case, from NIST to NPL, they have been adamant that uncertainty has _nothing_ to do with the pass/fail criteria.  The ironic thing is that labs would argue that, by being more rigorous an finding higher uncertainty, they would scare away customers who found less rigorous lab's smaller numbers attractive.

Obvious puns about uncertainty resisted,
Brent DeWitt, Lab Manager iRobot
Milford, MA