John Kasunich wrote:

>Jon Elson wrote:
>

>>John Kasunich wrote:
>>

>>>The Pico systems boards (USC and UPC) have opto-22 modules on most of
>>>their I/O, which isn't good for encoder signals.
>>>

>>In fact, they do work.  You should be able to go to at least 100,000
>>counts a second through the optocoupler - so it is definitely not the
>>limiting factor.
>>

>I thought opto-22 input modules came in 120V AC and 24V DC flavors?
>Encoder outputs are neither.  If there is a 5V input module then I stand
>corrected.

I have Opto-22 compatible OUTPUT positions on all the controller
products (the PPMC
board set, and the USC and UPC boards.)  But, I have been using
Fairchild H11A217D
optocouplers for the INPUTS.  They are not pluggable, and have a
built-in isolated
~5 V power supply, so all you need is a contact closure.  They were
intended for
limit and home switches, drive fault and E-stop relays, etc.  But, other
than the
restriction that the driver can only sense them once per servo cycle,
the inputs
should work for any digital signal, as long as it will pull the input to
ext ground.
That's one of the catches, that the digital input ground is floating, so
you have to
tie the ext. ground to the ground for the encoder.  And, the floating
supply really
doesn't have any spare current to power an encoder.

Jon