Kirk Wallace wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 21:27 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
>
>>The Pac Sci is too high voltage.
>

> Is the amp voltage limited by the output component ratings?

Yes, I have 200 V FETs in there, as well as a number of other
parts at either 200 or 250 V rating.  So, all of those would
have to be raised for operation above 150-160 V DC.

>>The Sanyo
>>sounds a lot better, but research shows it is a
>>sinusoidal-commutation motor, so it won't run well on my
>>brushless amp!  Darn!
>>
>>Jon
>

> I am guessing that what makes a motor a certain type (sinusoidal vs.
> trapezoidal) is the physical layout of the windings and magnets?
Yes.  A sinusoidal-commutation motor has the phase windings
overlapping just like a 3-phase AC motor.  A
trapezoidal-commutation motor has them not overlap, but end
abruptly.  Or, at least, that is what I think the difference is.
I don't think the magnets are different.  If you use the wrong
drive scheme the motor will vibrate quite a bit.  With
trapezoidal-comm. the servo amp only needs the 3 commutation
signals to know which coils to drive.  With sinusoidal-comm. the
drive needs absolute position info, so it has to read the
encoder signals, and know how many encoder counts equals how
many electrical degrees through the sine wave.  So, there is a
programming step involved to set the amp up to correspond to the
motor/encoder combo.  I really wanted to avoid that.

Jon