I'm using a xylotex 3-axis board.  I'm pretty happy with it so far.  For
whatever reason, my machine moves reliably at higher speeds (70ipm
instead of 40ipm) in half-step mode than 1/8 step mode, though most
people seem to prefer using the board in 1/8 step configuration.

The connections are very simple: PC to xylotex with DB25 M-F cable;
24VDC connection from power supply to xylotex; 4-wire connections from
xylotex to each motor.

In stepper_inch.ini or stepper_mm.ini, change standard_pinout.hal to
xylotex_pinout.hal

There are probably other all-in-one boards, and emc should work with any
board that takes step+direction inputs that match the PC parport for
voltage and current requirements.

Geckos also work fine, though I understand that the other models
*besides* 203V have input current requirements that may not be met by
all parports, leading to the use of an extra board in between with its
own 5V supply and line driver IC.  Someone who's actually used geckos
should add them to the wiki.

Jeff