Chris,

Thanks for the info. I'll give the filtered PWM option a try. I'm in the process
of hooking up the spindle encoder at the moment so will soon see what resolution
it's got. I can see from the wiring diagram that it's A & B quad and index but
I've no idea what resolution. The axis motors all have 8000 count/rev but I
doubt the spindle encoder will be so large. By my calcs even if it's quite high
it should be OK through the software encoder component providing all of the
spindle coordinated moves are at modest rpms which should be the case. The
spindle motor and spindle drive are 7kW FANUC units and I believe the drive has
an integral braking resistor. I know the axis drives certainly have one. I
believe that the machine's original control (Siemens Acramatic 850) did support
rigid tapping so I'm assuming it can accelerate/decelerate promptly as required
- I'll soon see.

John,

This particular machine only has 1 gear (0-8000rpm) but thanks for the heads up.

Regards,
Neil