Kirk,

Just to add a data point on my minimill system, it has 128000
encoder counts per inch.  I can get the following error down to
about 200 uInch peak, up to 50 IPM or more.  But, it takes some
effort to tune it to that level.

On my Bridgeport, I have 20000 counts per inch on X and Y, and I
usually get down to .0005" following error on that machine.  At
standstill, the error is usually +/- .0001 or less.

Jon