On Monday 03 December 2007, John Kasunich wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Monday 03 December 2007, Kirk Wallace wrote:
>>> Has anyone tried using a magnetic sensor such as a crankshaft position
>>> sensor for a spindle encoder? I would not have to protect this
>>> arrangement nearly so well as an optical system against oil and dirt.
>>>
>>> Initially, I found this part - AKL001-12E:
>>>
>>> http://www.nve.com/Downloads/gtsensor_catalog.pdf
>>>
>>> The "gear" and bias magnet would be easy to make and mount. I guess the
>>> tricky part is in dealing with the analog nature of the sensor, which
>>> means more than one or two components to wire, but no big deal.
>>
>> I'd think it would be an ideal solution.  The response goes down to DC,
>> and obviously GMR is high speed too as its now being used in the new
>> terrabyte sized disk drives as the read head.
>>
>> There might be a physical problem with the bias fields when attempting to
>> develop an index pulse from an adjacent device, requiring more separation
>> than the usual opto thingy's need though.
>>

>> Here is a thought, cannibalize a 5 volt reed relay coil as the bias
>> source, you may be able to use one end of it for the gear teeth, and the
>> other for the index pulse detecting a piece of bailing or even picture
>> hanger wire going by for the index pulse.
>
>Neat idea...  at a former employer I worked on "pulse tachs" (really
>encoders, dunno why they called them tachs) that used hall effect
>sensors and a gear.  Not suitable for very high resolution, but fine for
>a spindle.  But we always used permanent magnets for bias, and I was
>assuming that Kirk would do the same.  Using an electro-magnet has the
>disadvantage of needing a little power, but the advantage that whenever
>you turn the machine off, any metal chips that had been attracted to it
>would fall off or be easy to wipe away.  Chips and permanent magnets are
>not a good combination, seems impossible to keep clean.
>
>Regards,
>
>John Kasunich

Not to mention John, that hall effect devices are poisoned and rendered
useless, often in just a day or so by even the hint of a petroleum based
lubricant that might get splattered on them.  And they are commonly built on
a ceramic substrate that is a bit porous.  I believe moreso than the epoxy B
covering the top of the device.  I once lost a very fine character generator
keyboard for over a week cuz it got a lot of grit in its keys after several
years service and gave it a good washout with WD-40.  Three days later, and 9
dead keys, I called the maker and while ordering the keyswitches at about $12
ea, I was instructed to run, not walk, to the corporate kitchens dishwasher
and run it thru at least 2 cycles, once with the usual dishwasher powdered
soap, and once more to rinse it well.  In the top rack.  That stopped the
keyswitch failures after about 2 more.

So the short message is: Keep your hall effect devices scrupulously clean. And
not with solvents, good old soap and water.

--
Cheers, Gene
The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life.