> >I cruised some of the Honeywell sensor pages and the Digikey catalog
> >page with the 1GP4001 on it. I had studied the previous Digikey page
> >because I was interested in the Honeywell 103SR13A-1 which are installed
> >on my Hardinge lathe. I am guessing that for rigid tapping that the
> >sensor will need the zero speed feature. It did not seem obvious to me
> >which sensors where zero speed capable. What should I look for that
> >would indicate this?
> >
> First rule of magnetics is that a coil as and inductance is a velocity
> sensitive device, so there is a minimum speed below which it doesn't work.

Zero speed capability has to do with the signal conditioning circuit.  Some
sensors use an edge detect, some use a level comparator with hysterisis, and
some actually have an A/D and digital processing to constantly calculate
switch points.  There are probably more that I am not thinking of right now.

> As far as I know, all Hall and GMR devices are amplitude sensitive, not
> velicity.  Even a reed switch fits this category if one doesn't mind the
> mechanical lag which could be in the milliseconds range.

Be careful analyzing Magneto-resistive, it is amplitude sensitive until
saturated, and it is sensitive to the angle of the flux vector.

> I'm still puzzled by the 10 kilohertz response listed for this device.
> WTH?

The upper limit on frequency is most likely due to the signal processing
circuit.  I would bet that it has a low pass filter for noise immunity.  You
really don't want the sensor that sensitive to mechanical, magnetic or
electrical noise.  10 kHz is pretty fast in mechanical terms.