-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kirk Wallace
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 12:26 PM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Subject: [Emc-users] Magnetic Geartooth Sensor for Spindle

Has anyone tried using a magnetic sensor such as a crankshaft position
sensor for a spindle encoder? I would not have to protect this
arrangement nearly so well as an optical system against oil and dirt.

Initially, I found this part - AKL001-12E:

http://www.nve.com/Downloads/gtsensor_catalog.pdf

The "gear" and bias magnet would be easy to make and mount. I guess the
tricky part is in dealing with the analog nature of the sensor, which
means more than one or two components to wire, but no big deal.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe,