------------------------------

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 07:49:26 -0600
> From: Jeff Epler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Stepconf problems
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)"
>       <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
>
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 11:12:28PM -0500, xtra209 wrote:
>> My experience with stepconfig are mixed... The homing is screwed. I
>> fixed that by commenting out the sequence = lines in the .ini and now it
>> will home individual axes just fine.
>
> What home sequence is required for your machine?  Or is there no "safe"
> home sequence?  At present, stepconf hard-codes the homing sequence Z, X,
> Y, A.  I intended that the configuration set the Z "home position" near
> the top of travel so that it X and Y can move freely in their homing
> sequence, above anything on the table.

I'm not sure if I did anything to specify a Z homing location,... I
think I made it zeros. (don't remember...) I usually manually home X and
Y by clicking the Home Axis button for each axis then setting Z by
pressing the Home Axis button after I set it where I want it to be. I
haven't bothered to put a home switch on Z. In retrospect, I guess I
should put a home switch on Z and use Touch Off. I have limit switches
on all axes, both + and - on one pin. They work OK. I have a switch to
turn them off while homing and on while running. Running to the ends of
travel does no harm to the machine if I go too far. Except for Z axis
down where I could smash the fixtures and tooling. I do try not to be an
idiot! Hmmm.. Maybe if I inverted the Z axis home pin... Nah... Don't
have one to invert. I'm perfectly happy to manually home the axes and
would like a place in stepconfig to tell it I want to manually home each
axis individually. Commenting out the sequence equals has that effect
for me.

>> Also the thing would not load without a bunch of error messages and
>> quitting. I fixed that by doing a hard reboot of the computer. This is
>> on my spare computer which is not attached to a machine but no hard
>> shutdown and reboot, no EMC-2... With the new configs that is...
>
> Please find a way to copy the error messages over to a networked
> computer, because without them I am in the dark.  I haven't run into
> this problem myself.  I run stepconf-generated configuration files many
> times on the same machine without the need to reboot after each run.

Jeff,

This is a once only thing that only happens the first time I try to run
the new stepconf-generated file. After a single hard reboot everything
works normally with the new configs from then on and I can open and
close the program, run different configurations, turn the computer on
and off and all is happy. It just leaves me scratching my head and
thinking "Huh?". It isn't much of a real problem now that I know it's
going to need a hard reboot.

Since this is a once only problem I guess I will have to make a new
config and let it fail so I can get the error messages. I have a USB
flash drive that works well to transfer files from one machine to
others. Do the error files go someplace in particular so I can copy them
or do I need to copy and paste? Save them somwher? I don't know how to
do this yet... But I'm willing to learn!

Thanks,

Clint