The step length requirement of 25000ns is much longer than for other
stepper drivers I am familiar with.  Doublestep is predicated on the
idea that the step pulse is fairly short (e.g. less than say 4000ns).

Doublestep uses a "busy wait" to create short output pulses; if
BASE_PERIOD is very large compared to the step length then this is
beneficial; if the required output pulse length is large then this just
hurts machine performance.

In hal_parport I built in a maximum length for pulses, which I
arbitrarily made 1/4 of the thread time.  In your case, this turns out
to be a maximum of 24933ns when emc "rounds" the requested period
100000ns to 99733ns.  Just a bit under your datasheet timing
requirement.

So here's what I would try: Edit my-mill.ini to set BASE_PERIOD to
150000 so that the delay can actually be 25000ns.  If that still doesn't
work, also edit my-mill.hal to increase the delay above 25000ns.
Perhaps your break-out board creates an additional timing requirement
that you haven't accounted for yet.

There is no way to direct stepconf to produce a non-doublestep
configuration.

Jeff