On Mon, 24 Dec 2007, Geert De Pecker wrote:

> To do threading on the lathe is the end goal. I'm still in the
> development phase for the encoder bit. Want to make it myself
> (see part of drawing at http://users.skynet.be/gedp/FILES/index.html).

Geert,
   There are some .ps files floating around that can be used to print your
own optical encoders, and since postscript is a programming language they
are relatively easily modified to do weird stuff such as in
http://fennetic.net/pub/irc/encoder-panelized.ps

however i find postscript can be hard to understand sometimes, so i
rewrote it in python:
http://fennetic.net/pub/irc/draw_encoder.py

hope this proves useful to someone
   -fenn