On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 13:27 -0600, Witek GB wrote:
> I want to add an EMC CNC controller to my bridgeport clone however,
> before I start, I was thinking of retrofitting and installing ball
> screws.  I think I have too much backlash in what I have now.  I have
> a taiwanese 10" x 50" bridgeport cone with a M cast into the main
> casting.  So who sells zero backlash ball scres that are atleast as
> accruate as +/- 0.0005/Ft and how much would the setup cost me if I
> wanted to put it on my mill?
>
> Thanks
>
> WGB

I am doing a 42" x 9" table Bridgeport conversion now. The Hiwin rolled
ballscrews I ordered for it were just under $700, has .002" backlash and
is rated at .002" error per foot (Ground, .0005" error Hiwins are
somewhere around $1400 ). Due to the backlash and other issues, I am
looking at Microkinetic screws at just under $1000, .003"/per foot
error, with double nuts so the backlash can be adjusted out (also has
and oil system ports). I think Micrkinetics also does custom screws.

Be careful, when ordering screws, to make sure you understand what you
want, and what you will be getting. Don't assume anything.

( See:
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/bridgeport/ (bottom half of
page) and,
http://www.microkinetics.com/convkit.htm (about a third of the way down)
)

If anyone has had good results with purchasing and using ballscrews,
please let me know. Buying ballscrews, just to see if they will work,
can quickly kill a project.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe,