On Sunday 27 January 2008, Kenneth Lerman wrote:
>At 1080 feet per second, one wavlength of sound at 50 KHz is 1/50 foot or
>about 1/4 inch. I think you want way more resolution than that.
>
>Ken

I had in mind one of the 200 khz+ models, Ken.  Furinstance, 200 khz
gives .067" per wavelength according to kcalc using Massa's formula's and
converting to inches, and a quadrature phase detector can surely break that
down to one or 2 degree increments.  2 degrees would give us .0003" accuracy
that wouldn't be subject to cyclic errors in the screws and such.  For my
little mill, that is, as an ex bro-in-law used to say, "close enough for the
girls I go with".  Heck just having a known zero point every 0.067" would
beat the pants off the dial indicators I have.

There is also some even higher frequency stuff out there.  I've sent for P&A
on the 420khz devices from the link in my reply below.  And google turned up
one that claims megahertz plus stuff.  That's probably out due to air
attenuation factors but TBT I haven't looked.

This is something I may be able to knock up a breadboard proof of concept
model that I'd never take a picture of, else somebody would pull my tinkers
license, in a price range I can afford.  If it shows promise even if my
breadboard model has trouble nailing jelly to a tree cuz its not very rigid,
well...  Ya never know, but I do like to think out loud.  Others picking
holes in my theory are always welcome to comment. :-)

The sheer cost of a laser src pure enough to do this prices it well out of my
range, and I suspect out of range for anybody but GM & Toy.  I *think* this
is doable in a 3.2 USD price range.

Cheers, Gene
The scum also rises.
                -- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson