On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 09:53 -0500, Stan Blosser wrote:
> Dredging up a slightly old thread, but rather than start a new one...
>
> I'm in the design/planning stages of CNCing a Sieg X3 mill and will be
> using ball screws.  At this point, I am planning to use Nook XPR
> screws as they have a lead error of .001 in/ft.  The main reason being
> is that I do not have an accurate method (that I know of) to map a
> less accurate screw for error compensation in EMC2.  If I did, I would
> likely be looking at Roton screws at .004 in/ft error.  Regardless of
> the screws, I'll be using double nuts to adjust out the backlash.
>
> Does anyone know of a "home shop" class method to map a screw?
> Perhaps using a dial indicator and moving along an inch at a time.
> That sounds a bit tedious and prone to mistakes, but it's the only
> thing I can come up with off the top of my head.
>
> Also, I'm assuming EMC2's screw compensation interpolates between data
> points in the compensation file.  Can anyone confirm this?  If so, is
> it just a simple linear interpolation?
>
> Thanks,
> Stan

The only ideas I have come up with so far are, to use gauge blocks which
could get expensive in a hurry, and maybe laser interferometry like
here:

http://www.renishaw.com/en/6594.aspx#tocTarget0

I wonder if there is a DIY version of this?

Maybe you could make your own gauge blocks or a notched bar of
approximate size and have them measured accurately by a measuring
service.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe,