Dredging up a slightly old thread, but rather than start a new one...

I'm in the design/planning stages of CNCing a Sieg X3 mill and will be using ball screws. At this point, I am planning to use Nook XPR screws as they have a lead error of .001 in/ft. The main reason being is that I do not have an accurate method (that I know of) to map a less accurate screw for error compensation in EMC2. If I did, I would likely be looking at Roton screws at .004 in/ft error. Regardless of the screws, I'll be using double nuts to adjust out the backlash.

Does anyone know of a "home shop" class method to map a screw? Perhaps using a dial indicator and moving along an inch at a time. That sounds a bit tedious and prone to mistakes, but it's the only thing I can come up with off the top of my head.

Also, I'm assuming EMC2's screw compensation interpolates between data points in the compensation file. Can anyone confirm this? If so, is it just a simple linear interpolation?

Thanks,
Stan