Ian,

You Wrote:

"I am using a motor of indeterminate voltage (no plate on it) but which I
think is probably about 4.5 - 5 volt and I am driving it
with 12 volts. At this I can get a fair speed out of it but, having read
another post on this list which recommended using the highest voltage
possible with an Allegro driver, which is what I have, I tried upping the
voltage to 24 volts. The motor slowed down and won't go at more than 2/3
the speed at the lower voltage. Anyone know why this is? From all I have
read in the past, I thought more voltage was better.."

Driving steppers with more voltage does not necessarily equal better
performance.  If you are driving a light load, the "Cogging" of the
steppers can introduce oscillation during the step and cause missed steps.
There is a "Sweet Spot" based on load, inertia, acceleration and operating
voltage.  In my case 12 volts works way better than 18 or even 24 volts.  I
used a bench power supply on my setup and varied the motor drive voltage
while running.  You could literally hear the difference in the moves.  Each
machine will behave differently.  There is no one set of settings that will
provide the best performance.

Even using a micro-stepping motor driver may not be the best solution.  I
found that a micro-steppping motor driver was taking 980 microseconds to a
actually move from one "step" to the next.  I then switched to a simple
chopping driver with no micro-steps, and let HAL do the work.  HAL was
capable of driving steps well up into the 50 microsecond range.   With
proper acceleration settings, I get plenty of speed and no missed steps.

Jim