Kirk,

Yes, I have used the dampers and they work well.  My motors at home don't
have the dual shafts.  I made due with some old motors.  Things are working
well for me right now without them.  I could run faster if I had them on
the motors.

Here are work, I have seen the results and it's not pretty.  Steppers do
have a lot of oscillations during stepping.  There is always a resonant
speed where torque falls way off.  With the electronic gearing of EMC,
there is no way to avoid this condition.  One just has to make sure there
is still enough torque to continue the motion without breaking the phase.

Jim C

             Kirk Wallace
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             company.com>                                               To
             Sent by:                  "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)"
             emc-users-bounces         <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
             @lists.sourceforg                                          cc
             e.net
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Emc-users] Stepper speed
             03/07/2008 03:13
             PM

             Please respond to
             "Enhanced Machine
             Controller (EMC)"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             sourceforge.net>

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 14:19 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Ian,
>
> I am using the basic output from HAL via a 1284 parallel printer port,
> (mode 2).  The stepper motor drivers are just doing the chopping to limit
> current.  I didn't change HAL in any way.
>
> The one thing you might try is to limit the acceleration.
>
> I was surprised when I raised the motor voltage and started missing
steps.
> That was not at all what I expected.  I am driving a 2.5mm pitch lead
screw
> with 1.8 degree steppers (NEMA 14)
>
> Jim Combs
> Lexington, Ky

Others on this list have used mass and/or fluid dampers to deal with
stepper resonance problems.

I wonder if a high resolution encoder and Halscope could be used to
study inter-step movement at speed? Maybe running on another EMC PC?

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe,