On Monday 24 March 2008, Ormund Williams wrote:
>On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 17:20 -0700, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
>> We used 10K input resistor to protect comparator and 510K positive
>> feedback resistor on our little adapter board. This gives a sensitivity of
>> ~100 mV. Might be possible to improve this a little with
>> experimentation...
>
>Thanks for the tip.  I was going to setup a test to see what the output
>voltage range was.

You might also want to put a paralleled pair of small signal diodes, one
facing each direction to absorb the overvoltage when the wheel is given a
good spin. Put them on the comparator inputs so the current will be limited
by the 10k's. Half a meg seems like too much feedback too. 5 megs would then
give ~10 mv sensitivity, and much of the step loss at start/stop would go
away.  However, be sure the diodes, if in glass, are in the dark as they are
also photocells that can do a great job of picking up the common ballasted
flourescent light, which has a huge 120 hz flicker.

I like this idea for a jog wheel a heck of a lot better than trying to use the
old vcr editor controls I have laying there, waiting till I find my round
tuit I haven't seen in years.

I assume we are talking abut the steppers that drove the head carriage through
a strip of about 1 mill stainless steel ribbon about 1/4" wide, or the same
size motor but with a long shaft with a spring wire for a half nut?  The
little ones like in the 3.5" disks aren't ball bearing, and with their 1/8
worm shaft, would not be too rugged a part for shop floor use.  The motor I'm
thinking of, and I have several in old tandon 5.25 drives and the motor is
about 1.75" square by an inch and a half long not counting the shaft.  Those
are well built.

--
Cheers, Gene
Nice guys don't finish nice.