On Wednesday 26 March 2008, John Thornton wrote:
>Ok, I don't have stacks of old 5 1/4 floppy drives laying around...
>
>When it comes to electronics I need all the help I can get.  So the MPG puts
> out 4 pairs of signals and the LM399 converts that to 4 outputs? Lots of
I don't know about MPG.  The motor puts out 2 pairs of signals from its
windings, but each pair can be reduced to one as a logic level by one of the
4 comparators in an LM339? so that only 2 inputs are needed by emc per axis
controlled.

> googling going on... and EMC needs? I'm just looking at a MPG spec sheet
> and they only have 6 connections so I assume one is ground, one is power in
> and the other 4 are the signal coming out. Now I'm really confused. The
> LM399 has 8 inputs and 4 outputs.

The lm399 would in this case have enough units in it to convert the 4 wires
from 2 motors (say one was x, the other y, whatever) into the pair of
quadrature signals emc would need per axis serviced.  That would be 8 signals
plus power abd ground, and 4 motors and two LM399's and a handfull of 1/4
watt resistors & small signal diodes for a complete 4 axis setup.  Not sure
if I have 4 of those motors though, I'd have to rummage in the basement &
check.  I have the extra parport card installed already so thats not a
problem.

I'm not fam enough with the MPG though, and would have to assume it might
contain a switch that could be used to tell emc which channel/axis it
represents at the moment, otherwise I'm not sure what the other 2 wires would
be.

>Can you explain just a bit more for me please.
>
>Thanks
>John
>
>On 25 Mar 2008 at 11:43, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Tuesday 25 March 2008, John Thornton wrote:
>> >Why not just use a MPG their only $69?
>>
>> cuz we've already got stacks of the old floppy drives?  And either
>> will need an interface to shrink it down to a quadrature pair.  An
>> lm-339 makes that very easy.  Needs ground, 5 volts, outputs the
>> quadrature pair, 4 wires total in the cable.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers, Gene
>> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>>  soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>> AWAKE! FEAR! FIRE! FOES! AWAKE!
>>  FEAR! FIRE! FOES!
>>   AWAKE! AWAKE!
>>   -- J. R. R. Tolkien

Cheers, Gene
Some people carve careers, others chisel them.