On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 19:35 -0400, John Kasunich wrote:
... snip
> If you
> have a bench power supply with constant current mode, put a known
> current (an amp or so) through a winding and measure the voltage drop.
> Ohms law gives you the resistance, and as long as you make the voltage
> measurements right at the motor terminals lead resistance doesn't matter.
>
> One other note - tell us if you are measuring from one end to the other,
> or from one end to the center tap.
... snip
I setup a 1.2 Ohm resistor in series with a winding (c tap to end). Then
dialed the supply to get 1.2 Volts across the resistor to get 1 Amp. I
measured the voltage across the winding and got .24 Volts or .24 Ohms.
Then across two ends and got .47 Volts or .47 Ohms. This was a fun
experiment. I wonder how valid it is.

> Is the pot turned all the way up?  The motor might be 4 or 6 or 7A.

The pot Ohms out close to the middle, but I don't know what that means.

... snip

I think Jon may have figured out that the inhibit functions as a
transition between half and full stepping. Currently, with type 8 full
steps I get .001" increments, but I had at least .0005" before. The
machine shudders at low speed now. I am going to try half stepping to
see what happens.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe,