On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 21:47 -0400, Kenneth Lerman wrote:
> Does anyone use a single chip solution consisting of a single  8 pin
> microprocessor?
>
> An Atmel atTiny13 is $1.40 in an 8 pin dip package. These chips power up
> nicely, require no external oscillator, and are easy to program. If you
> don't trust them, get two. Use one to drive the high side of the SSR relay
> and the other to drive the low side. The paranoid among us can take the
> drive signals from the chips and feed them back as inputs to the main
> processor. It would then check that the chips are in the no signal state
> prior to starting the charge pump.
>
> It wouldn't do to have a failure of the failsafe circuit be undetected.
>
> Ken

Who's checking the failsafe circuit checker?

If you can do the programming easily, these eight pin processors
certainly are cheap. I find it a little frustrating to consider using
them because I always try to think of other functions I can put in while
I am there. I am the only one here, so no one shoots the engineer to
finish the project.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC/EMC CNC lathe,