Kirk Wallace wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 19:54 -0400, John Kasunich wrote:
> ... snip
>> Using a schmidt trigger to clean up the output is good.  However, there
>> is one potential problem.  The two stage charge pump can produce more
>> than 5V, which the '14 might not like.  Maybe a clamp diode to the
>> supply rail?  Or maybe use just one stage - remove C2, short D3.  You'd
>> have to make sure that one stage generates enough voltage to reliably
>> trigger the '14.
> ... snip
>> John Kasunich
>
> You are right. I got 5.5 Volts on the pump output going into the first
> buffer. I figured it might be okay. I like the clamp diode idea.
>
> I see the datasheet indicates that I am at the max. TI's LS14 shows a
> zener on the input already, so I guess I don't really know how hard I am
> driving the input.

After I wrote my reply I looked closer at the schematic and saw the how
big your caps are.  I also noticed that you are using an LS14.  I used
much smaller caps, probably 0.1uF for the filter and 0.01uF or smaller
for the pumps.  I used proportionally higher resistors to get the time
constants I wanted, but the net result is less loading on the '14
sections that are driving the pump.

In your case, the input current requirements of the LS14 make it
interesting.  IIRC, LS inputs go high when open - you need to make sure
your load resistor R5 is low enough to ensure a logic zero when the pump
is off.  If you've socketed the chip, I'd strongly consider replacing it
with CMOS one, like an HC or HCT.

Since the CMOS parts have very high DC input impedance, you could put
10K to 50K between the top of R5 and the input to the chip.  That would
greatly limit any current that might flow into internal protection
diodes, and make the clamp issue go away.

The tradeoff between HC and HCT is driven mostly by the input from the
PC (pin 5).  HC is better for the output section, since I think the HC
thresholds are about mid-rail.  HCT thresholds are lower, and are a good
choice if the parport might be driving only 3.3V.

Regards,

John Kasunich