On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 23:17 -0400, John Kasunich wrote:
> Kirk Wallace wrote:
... snip
> > If the input is constantly high, the signal to the FET will be the division
> > of
> > R2 and R5?

Dooh. It's as plain as day that R2 is grounded. Somehow I visualized
current going through R2, the diodes, R5 then ground. Any current in R2
goes to ground only.

> Nope.  If the input is constantly high, the signal to the FET will be
> low.  One end of the diode string is grounded, and the other end is
> connected to ground through a resistor that requires a DC current to
> develop any voltage across it.  Neither C1 nor C2 will pass DC.  The
> only way to get any voltage on the FET is to have an AC voltage on C1
> and C2 that the diodes can rectify.

I see the basics of it now. The math is beyond me but I can breadboard
it to get it working.

> > What I need is; 0 to < x Hz = low, x Hz to high = low, x Hz =
> > high, or a band-pass filter.
>
> I'm having trouble parsing that ;-)
>
> I don't think I've ever seen a charge pump that was a bandpass.  They
> turn on as long as the input is above some minimum frequency, and off
> for DC (either steady high or steady low).

Yes, right again. A band pass would do what its name suggests, which is
pass the selected frequency through unchanged, instead of converting it
to a digital indicator.

> In this design, the minimum frequency is determined by the values of C1,
> C2, and R5.  The size of C1 and C2 determine how much charge is pumped
> into C3 on each cycle, and R5 determines how fast that charge bleeds off
> and must be replenished.
>
> C3 is less critical - but it needs to be at least 10x the value of C1
> and C2, to make sure a single edge as might be generated during boot or
> driver loading can't charge it up enough to turn things on.  If C3 is
> too big, it will take a long time (relatively) to turn off when the
> input stops toggling.
>
> Regards,
>
> John Kasunich

I probably don't have any 7414's in hand. For now, I wonder if I can use
a couple of NPN's with the load and pull up resistors on the collectors
and the emitters tied to ground to make them inverters. I guess I'll
find out tomorrow.

Thanks for your help. It is fairly dramatic when the main relay
unexpectedly kicks in if I forget to throw the disconnect during boot or
shutdown.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC/EMC CNC lathe,