Ian W. Wright wrote:

> One of the main reasons I want to try to generate gears and,
> particularly, pinions is the great problem I have in trying to make
> working pinion cutters small enough for the watches I work on.
It just seems to me that if you have a CNC machine of any type,
you should be able to cut a master tool for the form required.
Then, that tool could cut the gear teeth directly, and reduce a
5 hour job to 15 minutes!  Even if you only have a mill, you can
mount a disc on the spindle and a lathe-type tool in the vise,
and make a gear cutter by laboriously following the tooth profile.
Then, you could cut radial slots to form the cutting teeth,
harden it, and you'd have a pretty professional gear cutter for
any tooth profile you need.

Jon